Sunday, August 07, 2005

I must admit, I've never been a fan of Tony Stewarts. I always thought he was a brat, a whiner, a trouble maker and the year he won the championship I still wasn't that impressed with him. (even though his winning speech at the banquet in NYC was definitely the highlight of the night) But today, I was happy for him. Maybe it's because he moved back home, into the house he grew up in no less. Maybe it's because he highlighted his hair knowing he'd get a load of flack for it from his team and probably anyone who gets near him at the race track. Maybe it's that he makes fun of the issue he has with his weight.
The thing is, I've never understood any actor, singer or athlete who grabs the spotlight and then bitches about what goes along with it. Don't get me wrong, I think paparazzi are the lowest form of life next to lawyers. And I know most media people (and I stress MOST) will make mountains of mole-hills just to have a story to write. but that still in my eyes doesn't give the "stars" the right to be abusive and uncooperative. Then you hear them complain "this isn't why I got into this business". Well, hello genuis. what did you THINK would happen after you had that top grossing movie or number one hit or championship? You'd just be ignored?
but getting back to Tony,..I was really happy for him today. Enjoyed the way he celebrated, saluted the fans and still was himself in the process.
Granted, it might be because one of my closest buddies in the NASCAR community told me that if I met him, I'd like him. So here I am...giving him a 2nd chance.
Enjoy it Smoke and I'll see ya at The Glen.

No comments: