Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Watch sweaty, over-paid men or puppies?

Somewhere within this 7-month old blog there had to be a time when I wrote about my love of animals. I just love 'em, grew up with them and can't imagine a place being a home without them. The problem is, I'm allergic to them; at least the ones with fur anyway. So I live vicariously through my friend Christine and her doggie-daughter Dottie, my sister and her two furry family members Heidi and Puss-puss, my mother and my ex-cat Pepper and my aunt and her buddy Buddy and her cat Queen. I do have two birds but they can't exactly sit on your lap, lick your face or keep your feet warm.

I am also a serious watcher of the channel Animal Planet. Great Show that Animal Precinct, although alot of times it's really hard to watch. I can't fathom for the life of me why anyone would abuse or neglect an animal. To me it's like doing the same to a child. How could you take advantage of something so helpless? Bring back torture, that's what I think. An eye for an eye. Going to jail is too much of an easy way out. But that's a blog for another time.

Last year while watching Animal Planet they announced they were having a show on Super Bowl Sunday called The Puppy Bowl. I think they called it punts, passes and puddles. Something along those lines. I couldn't help but tune in,..puppies just melt my heart. So there it was, a small football field with the yard lines, the stands and even goal posts. There were some footballs on the field but most of the puppies couldn't be bothered with them. They either wrestled with each other, drank or splashed in the water bowls that were underneath the goal posts or tried to climb the walls and get out. There was a referee near by to clean up "fouls" and even replays to show the cutest or funniest moments. This went on for about 3 hours, then repeated. I was HOOKED. Screw the 10 hour Super Bowl pre-game, the pre-taped, lousy remdition of the anthem, the ridiculously over-produced half time show and the game which always seems to end up a blow-out. The commercials have been the best part for the last few years.

Fortunately again this year Animal Planet has announced that there will be a Puppy Bowl II. This year it will even include a half-time show with kittens. Can you STAND it?!?! I'm even considering having a Puppy Bowl party. (no fur allowed, sorry!)

To see some hilarious and adorable video clips you can go here:
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/puppybowl/video_gallery/videogallery.html

You think Vegas will be taking odds next year for the PB MVP?

No comments: