Monday, December 04, 2006

"Oh no. I'M SPEAKING IN RHYME!"

It is that time of year to be holly and jolly but sometimes it's easier to be a Grinch. Or a Scrooge.
Nahhhh!

So last year I listed my favorite Christmas songs, so this year I decided to be a LITTLE harder on myself and list my favorite Christmas movies/specials.

And yes, I’m SAYING Christmas. Not holidays, or any of that other PC crap. CHRISTMAS, CHRISTMAS, CHRISTMAS!
If you don’t like it….sue me. Oh wait, you can’t…it’s a blog! BAHAHAHAHA!

So here they are:

13 - Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Burgermeister Meisterburger made this special funny. And the Winter Warlock. "Put one foot infront of the other...."

12 - Frosty the Snowman “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” Another special where the villain in it makes it funny. That and the rabbit. “Busy, busy, busy!”

11 - Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas: An amazing muppet story told by Jim Henson and his band of incredibly talented puppeteers. That I know of it was only aired on HBO but has recently been released to DVD. A great story of the true meaning of Christmas; family, friends and music! and of course, the Christmas branch!

10 - The Snow Queen: Not as well known as the others but the original version from the 60’s is pretty amazing. Of what I read one of the animators eventually went to Disney. (look at the Queen herself and you’ll see the familiar work) I remember the intro by Art Linkletter very well. “1 snowflake, 2…”

9 - The Santa Clause: One of the best of the more recent Christmas films. Yeah, it’s got the Disney corniness but you can’t beat the weight gain and the hair growth!

8 - A Year Without a Santa Claus: Heat Miser and Snow Miser make this more memorable "I'm Mr. Green Christmas, I'm Mr. Sun.."

7 - How the Grinch stole Christmas (animated): I remember drawing The Grinch in kindergarten and getting a star for it. You can’t beat Boris Karloff’s voice. And Max, poor sweet Max.

6 - White Christmas: I hadn’t seen this movie until a few years back but it made me love Danny Kaye even more and see what a dork Bing Crosby was. (okay, so he was playing a character..but still!) Some of the best corny music too, especially “Snow” and “Sisters”. I will admit that when the General makes his entrance in the final scene I always cry like a baby!

5 – Scrooge: A Christmas Eve tradition at my sisters house. The lesser known musical version of the Dickens story.

4 - Charlie Brown Christmas: TV Land named this the #1 Christmas special of all time. Because they're all so hard to rank I still had to put it in my top 5. You have to love Linus receiting (and in this PC day and age I am SO glad that they haven't cut that part out), Snoopy decorating his house and Charlie Brown's choice in trees! Not to mention Vince Giraldi's soundtrack, just amazing.

3 - It’s a Wonderful Life: People who don’t like this movie concern me. They don’t need heart transplants, they need heart installations! Granted, Jimmy Stewart is totally adorable in my eyes. If you’re a fan of this movie, make sure you rent SNL’s Christmas Special and watch their version of the “lost ending”.

2 - How the Grinch stole Christmas (the live action version): Next to Liar, Liar, this is my favorite Jim Carey movie. It has some of the greatest lines, I still recite every holiday season. "Blast this Christmas music. It's joyful and triumphant." "The nerve of those Whos. Inviting me down there - and on such short notice. Even if I wanted to go my schedule wouldn't allow it. Four o'clock, wallow in self pity; 4:30, stare into the abyss; 5:00, solve world hunger, tell no one. 5:30, jazzercize. 6:30, dinner with me. I can't cancel that again. 7:00, wrestle with my self-loathing; I'm booked. Of course, if I bump the loathing to 9 I could still be done in time to lay in bed, stare at the ceiling and slip slowly into madness. But what would I wear?"

1 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: This must have been one of the first Christmas specials I watched when I was young, actually it was released the year I was born. Rudolph holds a special place in my heart along with Hermey, King Moonracer, Sam the Snowman and Yukon Cornelius. “Didn’t I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles Bounce!”

No comments: