Monday, January 29, 2007

Barbaro's gone...


Sad news today.
Barbaro; that beautiful horse who took the Kentucky Derby by storm but broke down at the Preakness has been euthanized.
Being an animal lover myself but with some veterinary experience I'm VERY sad but I also understand that it had to be done.
I've been checking the UPenn Vet hospitals website every day since it happened to read the updates on his condition or to look at new pictures of him.
I never had any knowledge of what laminitis was and didn't realize what an important thing it is for a horse to have his weight equally distributed to every hoof.
It's just really disappointing because for a long time it seemed like he was going to make it.
The doctor's did all they could do and when they realized he wouldn't be pain-free ever again, they had to let him go.

Run free sweet boy!

No comments: