Friday, December 02, 2005

Bah, Humbug


Why is it when we have the least amount of money, that's when we feel the most festive at holiday time? I guess it's Bob Crachit syndrome. When you're broke you take joy in other things and when you have money you turn into Ebanezer Scrooge.
Personally, I've never felt very Scrooge-like. It's a hard time of year for most people. For me it's all about bitter sweet memories of being a kid and our family being together. I guess I thought when my parents got divorced that I was old enough to handle it...I wasn't. And for a while afterwards Christmas never felt quite right.
But it's back for me. Could be because I have young nieces and nephews to enjoy it with. Could be because I've finally given into the fact that it not being the same is okay. I'm not sure.
I'm a VERY nostalgic person. I like going on ebay and finding toys from when I was young. Probably because they were thrown out or given away without my permission so getting them back seems to be a strange power trip.
Last year I FINALLY found a Christmas album we played over and over and over again when I was growing up. We had it in 8-track tape form; I knew all the songs, even had little dance routines or skits made up to them. (those I don't remember so please don't ask for an encore performance)
So after aquiring the album in LP version I went to a local studio that converts old LP's to CD's and had them make copies for myself, my sister and my Mother.
I knew I was the most nostalgic one when they didn't recognize the cover art right away. I knew it the moment I saw the picture of it on ebay. The color, the fireplace, the little kid in the PJ's looking up the flew for Santa.
Just listening to it again made me warm all over.
So you can bring your past to your future....and move on.
As Jim Carrey as the Grinch said "It's joyful and triumphant"

No comments: