Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Madonna

Yes, I'm a proud Madonna fan. Not a fanatic (although that's what the word "fan" is short for) but I do like her music, her originality, the fact that she's pushed peoples buttons for 20+ years and has still managed to keep them intrigued. She's also been called every name in the book and has survived to be one of the most famous people in the world.
The Kabbalah thing doesn't interest me, or her childrens books. I like her as an artist and respect the fact that she's a very smart business woman.
I remember the first time I saw her videos for Borderline and Lucky Star. I thought she was a bit full of herself but you still couldn't keep your eyes off her. She had "something" and the tunes were catchy and most importantly to me, you could dance to them. (I was a club girl in the 80's.)
I was watching the MTV awards the night she was rolling all over the floor in her wedding dress, I remember when Pepsi dumped their sponsorship of her tour after her video for Like a Prayer came out and I borrowed my friends copy of her SEX book when it came out. That whole SEX and Erotica era of hers confused me, I thought she had SERIOUSLY lost her mind. The pressure of being her had finally made her crack. But much to everyone's suprise, she came back from it stronger than ever.
I remember going on a date to see the movie Desperately Seeking Susan and I thought she was hilarious in the movie A League of Their Own. Do you think the character was that much of a stretch though?
Was watching when she swapped a quick tongue-kiss with Britney and thought to myself "That's Madonna for ya, she knows how to get her name on the frontpage." Did they really expect those two to behave themselves on stage? Come on!
I still love the songs Papa Don't Preach (especially the string intro), Secret, Beautiful Stranger (from the Austin Powers soundtrack), Ray of Light, Power of Goodbye and Don't tell Me.
Remember you heard it here first; I predict that when she releases the song Jump as a single off her new album, it will be a HUGE hit. You can listen to it here if you scroll through the songs next to the Navigation Bar at the top of the site:
http://www.madonna.com/

"Music, makes the people...come together, yeah"

No comments: