Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Top 10 Favorite Christmas Songs

I think I would disappoint my family and friends if I didn't do this list.

I included links to the more obscure songs from a wonderful website I found called SantaSearch where you can e-mail Santa, read his journal and also find song clips and lyrics. (which is important to all the carolers out there!)


So here they are and I have to admit that it's extrEMELY difficult to rank them:

#10- White Christmas- The Drifters
http://www.santasearch.org/music.asp?PID=2&AudioID=3386
There's something about a doo-wop group doing a funky version of this song that just makes you smile. The movie Home Alone put it on the map.

#9- Mary Had a Baby- Bruce Cockburn
http://www.santasearch.org/music.asp?PID=2&AudioID=2276
I heard this ditty one day on the local radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 from Thanksgiving to Christmas and fell in love with it immediately

#8- Dominick the Donkey- Lou Monte
http://www.santasearch.org/music.asp?PID=2&AudioID=1370
A Christmas staple in most Italian homes. Cute and catchy enough to get your kids addicted to it as well.

#7- Still, Still, Still- Mannheim Steamroller
http://www.santasearch.org/music.asp?PID=2&AudioID=3093
I'm not one for this new-age stuff but when I first heard this track off their 1990 release it stopped me in my tracks. The vocals are so haunting.

#6- Holly Jolly Christmas- Burl Ives
Makes you think of growing up with Rudolph

#5- All I Want for Christmas Is You- Mariah Carey
Seems to harken back to the early 60's girl-group sound. Mariah at her best

#4- Charlie Brown Christmas- Vince Giraldi
I can't pick just one song off it because the whole CD is amazing.

#3- Where are you Christmas?- Faith Hill
From the How The Grinch Stole Christmas soundtrack. Anyone who's been through a time where Christmas seemed to lose it's meaning can relate to this one. I can't listen to it without crying.

#2- Merry Christmas Darling- The Carpenters
Combine an amazing song with Karen Carpenters beautiful voice and you have this timeless classic. Everytime it comes on the radio I have to sing-a-long

#1- Home for the Holidays- Perry Como
Mr. Como means Christmas to me

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!

No comments: