Thursday, September 29, 2005

I thought about writing a book one time about being a female sports fan. I've been one all my life. Been a tomboy since I was born; always had guys as best friends growing up, played football with my uncles and cousins and my brother and his friends. I wasn't the girl inside playing with makeup, that's for sure. Infact I didn't start wearing any until late in my highschool years.
Being a female sports fan can be tricky. You have to balance that fine line of being a fan and being a groupie. Why men don't have those labels I'll NEVER know because I have met some male-groupies in my day. Guys who measured their worth by the semi-pro athletes they hung out with. I always called them the Left-over-hunters. Any girl the player would diss, the LOH would take a shot at. Or I'd call them the players entourage. I saw it quite a bit around the local minor league hockey team. There'd always be one or two of them who followed the guys around. I guess it made them feel important. Then there'd be the ones outside the arena with the notebook full of hockey cards. Would that make them a groupie or just an autograph-ant. What about those guys who always get into the camera shot when athletes are being interviewed on TV? What would you call them (other than fucking annoying!) It's RARE you see a women doing that, probably because we know the camera adds 10lbs.
So I teetered on that fine-line for years. Still do I suppose. I can tell you whatever you want to know about the game of hockey, football or baseball. I'm getting to know NASCAR pretty well. But I'm not so ungirl-like that I can't tell you who the good looking guys on the teams are. And I've been known to get tongue-tied in the presence of some of them as well. So what does that make me?

No comments: