Tuesday, October 04, 2005

One thing I can never be called as a sports fan is a bandwagoner. Why, because most of the teams I like aren't successful. It depends of course on what you define as successful. For football, I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. Which hasn't been easy the last few years...or 10 years, or 20 years for that matter. I suffered through the 4 Super Bowls we went to and still cringe at the thought of the 1st one. Say what you want but it should've NEVER come down to a fieldgoal. I don't put that loss on Norwood's back, never did.
My favorite hockey team, the Buffalo Sabres. Since I've been following them they've been to one Stanley Cup final of which they were robbed. I can't even discuss it,..STILL. And if I ever get NEAR Gary Bettman I have a few words for him. Yes, STILL.
In baseball I love the hated Yankees. And no, not since last year or since their last World Series. Since the mid-to-late 70's. Not sure if the exact year because my memory is so bad. But I remember Thurman Munson and this was before he was killed in the plane crash. I think I used to call him Thurman Munster. I had a poster of Bucky Dent on my closet door and a little picture of him that I cut out of a magazine in my wallet. I've seen pictures of Bucky lately. Bucky STILL looks good, he still has all his hair. I'm pretty sure he'll be the next Yankees manager if/when Mr. Torre finally steps down. Just when you thought Red Sox fans couldn't hate us much more, put Bucky on the bench?
I can't say I'm an NBA fan. Just never got into it. I do follow the Denver Nuggets on occasion but that's only because former SU superstar Carmello Anthony plays there. If it weren't for him I could give two shits about basketball.
In NASCAR I love the underdog. I was an Elliott Sadler fan until he became successful. His ego followed him into the point standings and it totally turned me off. Too bad he's not as good looking as he seems to think he is, he'd be gorgeous. Now I'm a fan of Scott Riggs. Met him in the garage a couple years ago and there isn't one ounce of attitude in the man. He's adorable. Just a little thing who's the spitting image of his Dad. (without the facial hair and all the greys) And his son Layne is a mini-me of him. And I'm a Hermie Sadler fan. Another guy who bubbles with personality. He's been snakebit in his racing career lately but of what I've heard he's quite the business man so I'll be supporting him no matter the endeavor. I just hope he doesn't hold my disdain of his brother against me. Not his fault they're related!

No comments: