Thursday, February 09, 2006

Boo, hoo MOOriah


U2 is still cool, relevant and the class of the rock world. Don't try to argue with me, you won't convince me otherwise.
I LOVED the fact that they dominated the Grammy Awards last night but still had the class to acknowledge their fellow nominees. That's the kind of guys they are.
I remember seeing them when they first hit the music scene; wearing their puffy shirts, sporting some really bad semi-hip haircuts and trying to find their signature sound.
I was in a band that did nothing but Zepplin tunes. Somehow I convinced them to play Pride and Two Hearts Beat as One. Funny thing was when we played out, those songs were are most popular. I remember fooling around with an ex-boyfriend while the Joshua Tree album player over and over and over again. I stood first row for one of their shows and even had Bono singing "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" while standing right above me. Some pretty good memories there. One thing there's no denying about this band is the power and star-quality of their frontman.
I love Bono, always have. Even when he had a mullet, wore clothes that looked like Prince rejects and sported that sloppy poneytail during the Joshua Tree days. There's something in his voice. A sigh, a yearning. Almost a beg. I love his fly-eye glasses, his cool demeanor and the fact that he rolls around the floor with some lucky woman pulled from the audience during their concerts.
Alot of people have criticized him; saying that he walks around thinking he's some sort of prophet. It's nothing but jealousy. He can sing, he can command a stage, hold a crowd in the palm of his hand and then turn around and try to solve the worlds problems. He's not trying to be a martyr folks, he just wants to do good with his fame. Use it to help others who haven't been blessed with the things he has. I could go on and on about him but this writer summed my feelings up even better than I could:
http://www.statepress.com/issues/2006/01/25/arts/695316

Yeah, they can't exactly count correctly in Spanish but you'll never convince me that the wrong band won the big awards last night, so don't even bother trying.

No comments: