Friday, February 10, 2006

Watts: "Get your skag and let's go"

Forget Pretty in Pink, The Breakfast Club (sorry Nikki), or Sixteen Candles (sorry Dong). My all-time favorite John Hughe's movie is Some Kind of Wonderful.
I relived my love for this movie when it ran on Oh! Network the other night. Oh! is another cable channel geared toward women that is having a revolting love-movie-fest from now until that nauseating holiday (is it really considered a HOLiday?) known as Valentine's Day. You know the one; where people go out on dates that they should just do any time of the year and men are expected to shell out big bucks on flowers, candy and jewelry?
I have had two memorable Valentine's Days in my life. One was delivering singing Valentine's telegrams in highschool with my fellow Jazz Choir members and the other was a date I won with a local hockey player. I had lost a bet and had to go on this Dating Game styled show that they held on center ice inbetween periods of a game. It was embarrassing as hell but at least I won and the guy turned out to be a great date. (Of course it's always fun when the organization is picking up the tab and you're told by the waiter that you can use that money to buy drinks!) Don't get me wrong, my loathing of V-Day has nothing to do with bitterness;I just always thought it was a trumped-up, ridiculous holiday that only helped increase sales for Hallmark, FTD and Tiffany's.
Anyways, getting back to the movie...I'm not sure what it is about this movie that I love so much. First of all, I'm not into red-headed men; just the thought of red pubic hair is frightening to me but Eric Stoltz is absolutely adorable in this flick. I can't imagine in reality that looking like that would make ANY guy an outsider no matter what he did or who his best friend was.
Secondly, I can definitely relate to Watts. I always had crushes on guy friends; not only in highschool but even into adulthood. Although mine didn't have the lovely movie-ending that hers did. I also know how it feels to be in a lockeroom with other girls and feel completely inferior. I don't think anyone ever accused me of being a lesbian but I was definitely a tomboy. Still am.
I'll bet alot of the popular girls I didn't like in highschool were very Lea Thompson-esque. Basically very pretty but completely misunderstood. It's hard to take pity on "pretty people with problems" but I'm sure they had some as well. Too bad they had to be a bunch of snooty assholes, I probably would've liked them.

So enjoy however you decide to celebrate the upcoming V-day but you'll have to excuse me if the whole holiday makes me gag.

No comments: