Monday, February 13, 2006

Sasha probably won't miss your ass either Michelle

Okay, is it me or are they making WAY too much out of Michelle Kwan leaving the Olympic games? Give me a break folks. NBC calling her the most important athlete of the games; and then having the gall to say "Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee than maybe any athlete that's ever performed for the U.S. Olympic team". What a slap in the face to all the other athletes who have ever participated in the games. Talk about an over-blown pile of dog crap. She definitely doesn't mean more than the 1980 US Gold Medal winning hockey team did and she never will. I doubt Disney will ever make a movie about her ass; who would pay to see a movie about a total prima-donna. Not me thanks. Mary Lou Retton had more class and charisma.
Don't get me wrong, I think Michelle's a great skater but I'm not going to miss seeing her pout on the podium when there's no gold around her neck. (see years 2002 and 1998) Get over it, get over yourself, you are NOT the best skater in the world. At least not on the Olympic stage Michelle.
I admit, I used to like Michelle back when she was an un-assuming little sprite who floated over the ice with the grace and musicality of a crusty veteran. Somewhere down the line however her success went to her fat head.
Let's face it, skaters are pampered pooches. Walking around in their fur coats, expensive jewelry and skating in their designer dresses. Sometimes you tend to forget they're athletes. That must've been why people screamed when Sasha Cohen almost collided with Michelle during warm ups for the Nationals last year. Excuse me, Michelle looks like she's on steriods and about 10 feet tall compared to little Sasha. Do you really think she was going out there looking to hurt Michelle, let alone herself? Have you ever seen how many girls are on the ice for pre-skate practice and have you noticed how much room they need to set up a jump? How they don't go flying off the surface or into the boards more often is beyond me. So Michelle felt a bit of a breeze,...I'm sure she got over it.
Then there was the previously mentioned Olympics that Michelle was SO positive that she'd win the gold medal that she had a gold outfit and a song that mentioned gold in her Exhibition skate. If that's not putting the cart before the horse I don't know WHAT is. Okay, so Sarah Hughes' win WAS very suprising but that Russian skater, Slutskaya, is no slouch either. Did Michelle really think that just showing up would win her a medal?
And finally, why the hell did she even TRY to make the team this year? Once again that enormous ego of hers I'm sure. I doubt her doctors were telling her that it was a good idea. I also think that the US Olympic commitee has egg on their face now given the fact that they let her on the team knowing full well she wasn't healthy. This was not an extroridinary situation like Nancy Homewrecker Kerrigan getting her knee whacked. Injuries are common in athletics. If you're not healthy, you shouldn't go. You shouldn't get some special try-out behind closed doors that some stuffed shirts decide on. You skate in the Nationals and make the top three, you go. You don't, you can't.
Sorry, not gunna miss you Michelle. But I hear the Ice Capades are hiring.

No comments: